Tuesday, October 26, 2010

So, this is how it went...

Last Sunday, Matt & I were assigned to speak in Church. Not a big surprise for us, really- that's just what happens when you move into a new ward. We worked on our talks all week (well, I worked on my talk all week and I kindly and subtly reminded Matt to work on his all week) in order to, hopefully, make a good impression. Well, since we have two kiddos, and we were both speaking we decided that Matt would sit in the audience and wrestle the boys until I had given my talk, and then we would switch places so that Matt could give his talk and sit on the stand until the end of the meeting. If only it went that smoothly...

Picture this- it's sacrament time and the deacons are passing the trays around. I'm on the stand and hear a crash and then my baby start crying from the second row in the audience. Matt was helping Levi with the water, and Weston dive-bombs into the tray head first (he wanted a cup, too), and spills the entire tray all over himself. Cups are flying; water is everywhere; and then he slips out of Matt's arms during the fiasco and face-plants it on the ground!!

At that point, no one is calming him down except for his Mom, so after I figure out what is going on, I try to sneak down from the stand and whisk my poor little screaming ( and soaking wet) Weston out of the chapel from a very red-faced Matt. Matt and Levi clean up the mess while I calm Weston down, strip him down to his diaper, wrap him in a blanket and then head back up to the stand to give my talk.

I think my talk went really well. All of a sudden, I was no longer nervous. Seriously, at that point- how could I top that?!! Matt did a fantastic job on his talk also. I guess we just needed to break the ice first!

7 comments:

Jen said...

Oh no way! Seriously What a bummer. I think you guys don't have to worry about a good 1st impression anymore. That one will forever be memorable :)

Bev said...

Welcome to the new ward!! If that performance didn't impress them, nothing will......they will love you guys no matter what!! cute post........

Shari said...

hahahaha KIDS, right? I'm glad Weston's not really hurt from that nose-dive!

Petersens said...

oh my goodness! Poor boys! Glad it all worked out good!

Katie and Josh Johnson said...

It's amazing what you can pull off when your a mom! Nice job smoothing it all out!

Tracy said...

I wish we could have been there for all the excitement sounds like we missed some fun! Poor Weston boy but I bet your talks were great!

Skinners said...

I don't want to seem rude but I was busting up through that entire post!